Goals of the KU Biodiesel Initiative
- Establish a facility to produce biodiesel from used vegetable oil at KU.
- Create a closed-loop production process with regards to byproduct reuse, resource conservation, and energy management.
Biodiesel Quality Standards
- Obtain the equipment and experience necessary to perform ASTM testing of biodiesel.
- Develop a self sustaining ASTM testing facility for biodiesel to provide a testing service to the State of Kansas and broader community.
- Investigate the effect of feedstock characteristics on the biodiesel properties, engine performance, and emission quality at all stages from "Feedstock to Tailpipe".
- Lessen the ecological footprint of the facility and focus efforts towards the benefit of economy, community, and environment.